MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. – The Georgia College Men's Cross Country program and head coach Steven Cary have announced seven new faces to the roster for the 2015 season.
With all seven joining the squad as freshmen, Cary is building for the future, and also looking for immediate impact.
"I'm excited to welcome many new faces to our men's team this fall," said Cary. "Each of the last four years I've stated that each recruiting class is the best we've had yet, but I think when you look at the talent of these young men you'll agree that this may be the best in the history of the program. It's fun to see the growing interest in Georgia College among some of the best runners in Georgia—I think that speaks volumes about what we're doing. This year's class will add much needed depth to our roster, and certainly spice up the pecking order at practice and races this fall. I think many of these young men are capable of contributing right away."
Austin Campbell (Forsyth Central High School)
- PR's – 16:15 (5K)
- Only ran 1 season of XC in HS – SR year
Will Harper (West Forsyth High School)
- PR's – 16:42 (5K), 10:43 (3200m), 4:58 (1600m)
Trent Johnson (Hebron Christian School)
- PR's – 16:02 (5K), 9:40 (3200m), 4:26 (1600m)
- 4th at state SR year in XC – Class A-Private
- 3rd at state JR and SR year in track for 3200m – Class A-Private
- 3rd at state JR year and 4th at state SR year in track for 1600m – Class A-Private
Chris O'Brien (Brookwood High School)
- PR's – 16:20 (5K), 9:52 (3200m), 4:28 (1600m)
- 28th at state SR year in XC – Class AAAAAA
Daniel Sexton (West Forsyth High School)
- PR's – 16:33 (5K), 10:25 (3200m), 4:43 (1600m)
Brian Skoglind (West Forsyth High School)
- PR's – 16:11 (5K), 9:40 (3200m), 4:28 (1600m)
- 19th at state SR year in XC – Class AAAAAA
Joshua Warren (Starr's Mill High School)
- PR's – 15:48 (5K), 10:01 (3200m), 4:29 (1600m)
- 12th at state SR year in XC – Class AAAAA
The Bobcats are primed for a strong season in 2015, with four seniors providing the necessary leadership for the new young crop of runners. Bobcat Cross Country starts the season Friday, Sept. 4 at 6:15 p.m., hosting the Bobcat Invitational at the West Campus Cross Country Course.
The Georgia College Department of Athletics, two-time winners of the PBC Commissioner's Cup, sponsors 11 varsity athletic programs at the NCAA Division II level. As a Division II program, Bobcat Athletics prides itself on balancing the life of the student-athlete, evidenced by the teams' multiple appearances in post-season competition as well as documented academic success and community-service involvement. Sign up at @GCBobcats on all social media formats for up-to-the-minute reports, and visit GCBobcats.PhotoReflect.com to purchase photo prints from home athletic contests.